After seeing a friend’s lovely vehicles for post-apocalyptic games, I decided that I would try and spruce up my old vehicles a little for my games of the Last Drifters, new rules so new paint jobs!!
So I started looking on the internet to see what other people had done with their vehicles.
And I found some lovely work, so after looking at my friend’s vehicles again and those that I had found on the internet I knew that I was going to have trouble getting mine to look like theirs 😢
All I thought I might be able to do was to get mine to look vaguely similar as my lack of painting skill was going to make it hard to achieve the finish I have seen.
Any way it was time to fudge my way through all my vehicles…
All of my vehicles I had previously done were just painted black and had been hit with a few splodges of brown to make them look old / dirty / rusty.
Not great but they were ok for my games, but looking at other peoples vehicles the first thing I noticed was that most of them had some colour showing through the dirt and the rust, this was I guess the vehicles original colour or at least the base coat the modeler had put on.
Now I had a couple of choices, did I strip all the paint from the vehicles, or did I try and make it look like the paint was there underneath all the dirt and rust?
Well I am lazy… 😉 so decided to try and make it look like the paint was already there!
So I started hitting all the vehicles with a mixture of base colours, green / blue / red / white / buff! And concentrated on the prominent edges and then in the recesses, then rubbed off the excess paint with my thumb!!
I then went back over lightly with some brown to put some of the rust / dirt back on and again rubbing the edges again with my thumb.
And last thing I did was to add tiny patches of black to try and blur the areas more and again my trusty thumb was put to work.
And there you have it, my attempt at making my old vehicles look half decent.
The following photo’s are of the finished vehicles.
These next five vehicles will be used as gang vehicles in my games, I have just stuck a skull on their fronts to set them apart from the other vehicles.
I do still need to some more work on this skull at some point as it is a bit plain at the moment, maybe I will add some horns!
After doing all these I then decided to paint some new cars to match.
These were done exactly the same way as the rest, but on a couple I painted some black and yellow stripes and then I did some detail work on some baggage I had added.
I still have a small box of cars that I will be converting for the Last Drifters over the next few weeks and will put up pictures as I do them.